GENERAL SUMMARY / OVERVIEW STATEMENT : Under close supervision and according to established policies and procedures operates a computerized cash register.
Responsible for the recording of menu board items and prices, performing cash and special transaction on the register, and following through with appropriate paper work (paid meal reports, item transactions).
Balances cash against receipts and makes deposit. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES : I. Sets up Cashier area to receive customers by : A.
Obtaining banks and currency and verifyingB. Preparing cashing work sheets II. Reviews menu items and prices. Reviews with supervisor menu and programming chart.
III. When necessary, completes daily changes on the Cafeteria menu boards, and lists appropriate prices. Places menu boards in appropriate informational display areas for review by Cafeteria patrons.
IV. Operates a computerized cash register with keys listing menu selections; computes charges for each meal, assigns appropriate cost control (i.
e. employee, visitor, tickets, etc.), receives cash and makes change for visitors and employees eating in the Cafeteria. V.
Closes out cash registers following established procedure. Counts all cash in bank and for deposit. VI. Fills out paid meal report and deposit procedures.
VII. Completes appropriate forms with regard to number of transactions / per menu selections, census reports, cash reports.
VIII. Responsible for ensuring that the cash bank has the proper amount of cash, and secures additional change as necessary.
IX Responsible for ensuring cash station is clean and orderly.
1. High school level of knowledge.
2. Work requires the ability to read, write and speak English in order to follow oral and written procedures and communicate with customers and fellow employees and supervisors.
3. Must have good math ability in order to perform mathematical calculations and cash / deposit transactions.
4. Generally 1 to 3 months of job related experience is required in order to be familiar with the functions of the cash register and job related duties.
SKILLS / ABILITIES / COMPETENCIES REQUIRED :
1. Work requires a good understanding of the department policies relating to portion control, price structure of menu items, and customer typing (i.
e. dietary policies related to visitors, patients and hospital staff).
2. Interpersonal skills necessary to deal effectively and courteously (up to 80% of the time with a diverse group of cafeteria customers patients, hospital staff, visitor ).
3. Must have good vision and a good span of concentration.
WORKING CONDITIONS :
Working conditions are generally good. Some discomfort due to temperature, dust, noise, and the like. Sitting in one location for long period of time.
EEO StatementBrigham and Women’s Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.