Description : I. Basic Purpose :
I. Basic Purpose :
Prepares operating rooms for surgery using aseptic / sterile techniques under the direction and supervision of the RN, provides technical services and assists the surgeon, anesthetist, and other team members in the care of the patient experiencing surgical intervention.
II. Major Duties and Responsibilities :
1. Complies with established corporate and departmental policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance methods, and safety codes.
Demonstrates compliance with licensing, regulatory and accrediting agency provisions as required.
2. Consistently demonstrates appropriate and professional communication behavior toward patients, customers, and coworkers.
Cooperates with Management and peers to promote an environment of teamwork and collaboration.
3. Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
4. Prepares rooms with appropriate instruments, sutures, medications, supplies and equipment.
5. Assists the surgical team during operative procedures.
6. Opens sterile supplies and sets up for procedures.
7. Drapes patients for surgical procedures.
8. Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures and after terminal cleaning. Monitors and restocks supplies.
9. Maintains and cares for equipment and supplies. Reports equipment problems promptly. Documents maintenance and repairs.
Knows correct steps for troubleshooting and / or equipment replacement / repair.
10. Maintains department records, reports, and files as required.
11. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings, workshops, and CQI / QA.
12. Attends meetings as required.
13. Orients, instructs, and trains assigned personnel.
14. Demonstrates / practices time management.
15. Demonstrates working knowledge of anatomy / physiology, aseptic technique and OR equipment.
16. Consistently follows protocols and procedures for setting up tables.
17. Delivers soiled instruments to Sterile Processing. Returns sterile instruments to unit and stores them properly.
18. Ensures adequate supplies for scheduled procedures. Checks supplies for expiration dates and instruments for package integrity.
Maintains par levels; leaves order lists for manager when appropriate.
19. Gathers and disposes of trash, waste materials, and soiled linens from work area and places in specified bags or containers.
20. Maintains annual mandatory education requirements specific to position as mandated by Martin Health System.
21. Performs all other duties as assigned or requested.
III. Minimum Requirements (experience, training, and education) :
To effectively fulfill this position, candidate must meet the following requirements :
Post high school vocational / specialized training from an accredited surgical technology program required.
Certified Surgical Technician (CST) certification preferred.
Current acceptable CPR certification required : American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Health Care Provider OR American Red Cross CPR / AED for the Professional Rescuer.
The policy of Cleveland Clinic and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment.
All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine.
Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic’s Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days.
Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law.
Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic facility.